Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum that is entirely based around flame wars. Someone can start a thread praising or challenging a subject and others can join in with their opinions. So come on, join! It's free! And most importantly, fun!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Bass/Guitar/Drums?

Go down 
+2
BRIK
~Baykuh~
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BRIK
¡Admin!
BRIK

Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 4:56 am

Who even said it was about making money? Most do it for the love of playing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brikproductions.110mb.com
Jonesy
Tis Awesome Poster
Jonesy

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 5:02 am

Shinobi wrote:
You basically just made my point for me, Jonesy. Basses are just there to support everyone else, and are nothing without the rest of the band. They either sound bad without the band, or don't sound with the band. And besides, basses are prominent in rave music. Guitars aren't. +1000000 cool points for guitar.

I can't change that, it's just the whole reason for the bass guitar pretty much.Thats not to say thats all you can use them for tho. They DO sound good by themselves, you can get some really unique sounds out of them, And the bass is normally one of the factors that makes a particular band really unique and awesome sounding. The bass and drum (percussion) rhythm is really the foundation of any song, be it orcestral, rock, jazz, metal or anything in between.

By the way, it's not usually bass in rave music, it's synth, generally keyboard.

Another thing, at least us bassists aren't stubborn egocentric dicks that fill up the whole stage with our egos.
Nothing personal. Razz

And if you're playing just for the money there is something wrong with you.

DIRNT DIRNT DIRNT DIRNT BOYUP BOYUP BOYUP Razz
¡Admin!
BRIK

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 5:07 am

Jonesy wrote:

DIRNT DIRNT DIRNT DIRNT

Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 Mikedirnt
Back to top Go down
http://www.brikproductions.110mb.com
Jonesy
Tis Awesome Poster
Jonesy

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 5:11 am

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHH!!! One of the most awesome bassists in the world. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Climbing The Ladder Of Awesome
Shinobi

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 5:25 am

Quote :
Another thing, at least us bassists aren't stubborn egocentric dicks that fill up the whole stage with our egos.

Hmmm. It seems to me that someone has to be up there... if us guitarists just blended into the background like you basses, there would be no need for concerts, as everyone would just be standing still.
Back to top Go down
Jonesy
Tis Awesome Poster
Jonesy

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 5:29 am

Most, if not all of the live shows I've been to, the bassists have been just if not more energetic as the lead singer/guitarist. What I'm talking about is how guitarists always seem to put Bassists down for being inferior, when bass takes as much skill as a normal guitar does.
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 5:34 am

It does? Most basses only have 4 strings, which is only 96 notes if you have a 24 fret bass, rather than 144 with a guitar. Also, how can you tell if you can't hear the bass Razz
Back to top Go down
~Baykuh~
Tis Awesome Poster
~Baykuh~

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 7:49 am

Shinobi... Imma hit you soon.

And skellington...
THEY DON'T GO BOYUP!!!!! *rageface*
Back to top Go down
Lyall
Lyall

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 8:41 am

Shinobi wrote:
It does? Most basses only have 4 strings, which is only 96 notes if you have a 24 fret bass, rather than 144 with a guitar. Also, how can you tell if you can't hear the bass Razz

Actually, I have to disagree with your first point to some extent. How songs actually call for every single fret to be played? And even playing all those high notes the bass doesn't have, you're probably only using 1-2 octaves up there, due to the fact the strings are only tuned about a 5th apart and therefore notes just repeat (I can't remember if it's a 5th or 4th apart, I get it confused with violin,) which is the same range a bass would use in their songs There's also that fact that bass guitars don't actually need to solo on those top 2 strings, but that's going back to bass bashing again :p.

... That probably made no sense at all. Just trying to say the guitar doesn't have as many notes and you'd think just by counting the frets. The same applies to bass, but you know, it's still somewhat relevant.

Saying boyup to Baykuh is the ultimate way to crush her spirits, it's very amusing to watch ^^. Does it work on every bassist?
Back to top Go down
Skellington
Skellington

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 8:52 am

Lyall wrote:
Saying boyup to Baykuh is the ultimate way to crush her spirits, it's very amusing to watch ^^. Does it work on every bassist?

Oh you bet it does
Back to top Go down
Jonesy
Tis Awesome Poster
Jonesy

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 9:32 am

At Shinobi: Playing Bass and Playing guitar are two completely different techniques. saying guitar is more complicated just cause it has more strings is like comparing Justin Bieber to Metallica. I'd love to see you try and master slap playing or some nice fast punk bass riffs Razz
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 10:47 pm

AHAHAHA, It's a deal. Have I not shown you yet? And besides, Justin Bieber vs Metallica has no relation to Guitar/bass. Bieber's not a musician Razz
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 10:51 pm

And Lyall, the extra strings add the ability to play full chords, chord on the bass aren't really, well, good. Yes, they double up for a few frets, but that means you have 2 more notes to the chord, while bass is usually just power chords. And by the way, it's a 5th apart Razz
Back to top Go down
Lyall
Lyall

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:47 am

I don't really play full chords, besides a bit of rasgueado every so often (It's usually a bass plus 3 note pluck instead, or arpeggios,) so that didn't really jump to mind. Since a chord is only 3 notes though, unless you get into added 7ths and such, a bass could play chords. They'd just sound bassy and strange. And be really hard to reach.

I have to commend a bassist who can play quickly by the way. As I've already mentioned, those frets are way too far apart for me :p.
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 3:14 am

And on a note, I wasn't suggesting anyone does it just for the money. It's just usually if they are successful, they do make money. Also, Jonesy, you challenged me to play slap bass - I challenge you to play a guitar solo - how does Stairway To Heaven sound? No? What about Enter Sandman? Exactly...
Back to top Go down
~Baykuh~
Tis Awesome Poster
~Baykuh~

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 3:46 am

*Slaps Shinobi*

Bass isn't nearly as easy as you keep making it seem. And you can hear it, and it can sound really awesome.

You're almost as annoying as this guy I know at school...
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 3:55 am

I never said Bass was easy. I'm just saying Guitar is harder. You make it sound like Guitar is really easy. Jonesy was betting i couldn't play bass, but he didn't consider if he could play guitar. And you remind me of this crazy girl as school that Eats Da Poos and goes BOYUP and loses the game.
Back to top Go down
~Baykuh~
Tis Awesome Poster
~Baykuh~

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:18 am

I'm pretty sure that if Jonsies and I had been playing guitar as long as we have bass... we could play well. Maybe there's more to learn with guitar.. but it doesn't mean its REALLY REALLY hard compared to bass.

and I DON'T EAT DA POOZ... BASS DOESN'T BOYUP AND YOU SUCK!!! :@
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:22 am

Also, I'm pretty sure if I had been playing bass as long as I have guitar, I would be able to play well too, therefore your point is null and void.
Also, how DOES bass go then? Durr Durr Durr better?
Back to top Go down
~Baykuh~
Tis Awesome Poster
~Baykuh~

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:31 am

The difference is that you've been playing for years and we haven't.
And bass can go however I want it to go... just not boyup. It rumbles, growls, smacks, pops and thumps. IT does NOT boyup.
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:33 am

Rumble, Growl, Smack, Pop and Thump are all the sounds of shoddy basses breaking Razz
Back to top Go down
~Baykuh~
Tis Awesome Poster
~Baykuh~

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:35 am

Shoddy bass breaking??That doesn't even make sense...
You're just jealous because you can't make those sounds on a guitar... not nearly as well anyways.
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:47 am

In simple words - Rumble, Growl, Smack, Pop and Thump = sounds when basses break, because they are so bad. And why would I WANT to make those sounds, when guitar sounds are far better?
Back to top Go down
Lyall
Lyall

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:47 am

Hey Bek...

BOYUP!

Off topic question, is the new member McFuzzy the Blemchild, or is that just coincidence?

By the way, I have never heard an instrument pop before. Also, use better wording, pop has bad connotations to people who actually appreciate good music... pop music is awful :p.
Back to top Go down
~Baykuh~
Tis Awesome Poster
~Baykuh~

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:52 am

Shinobi.. i WILL slap you. Basses are good and can sound awesome.

And Lyall... NO BOYUPS!!! *wild arm flailings*
Yeah.. it IS the Blemchild.. and pop music IS pretty awful...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bass/Guitar/Drums?   Bass/Guitar/Drums? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bass/Guitar/Drums?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Flame Wars :: Music-
Jump to: