Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum that is entirely based around flame wars. Someone can start a thread praising or challenging a subject and others can join in with their opinions. So come on, join! It's free! And most importantly, fun!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Man vs Wild

Go down 
+5
HomerBall667
Skellington
BRIK
Shinobi
Skoje
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Skoje
Knows shit
Skoje

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 9:22 pm

Does anybody else think that Bear Grylls is the real god
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOneOneNine
Shinobi
Climbing The Ladder Of Awesome
Shinobi

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 3:19 am

Personally, I think he knows NOTHING whatsoever about any aspect of survival. To me it's a comedy show. I laugh at everything he does wrong - aka everything. The stupidest 'Survival Teacher' EVER.
Back to top Go down
BRIK
¡Admin!
BRIK

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 5:44 am

BUT HE CAN WALK INTO MORDOR!
Back to top Go down
http://www.brikproductions.110mb.com
Skellington
Skellington

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:07 am

Shinobi wrote:
Personally, I think he knows NOTHING whatsoever about any aspect of survival. To me it's a comedy show. I laugh at everything he does wrong - aka everything. The stupidest 'Survival Teacher' EVER.

You laugh yet would you be willing to do any of the stuff he does?
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:16 am

I wouldn't do any of the stuff that he does because it's just plain stupid. But yes, I would be willing/even happy to go out into the wild like that on a survival trip. I just wouldn't have a helicopter, 5 camera/backup support crew and know nothing about anything. If any of it actually made sense, yes I would be willing to do it.
Back to top Go down
Skellington
Skellington

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:18 am

What exactly does he do thats so stupid?
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:20 am

Have you ever watched the show? If you can't tell then you really need to consider completing grade 4. Not a personal insult though Razz
Back to top Go down
Skellington
Skellington

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:22 am

I've seen bits of the show. Honestly I dont think its a survival guide so much as a form of entertainment.
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:26 am

Humorous entertainment. Put it this way - if you know ANYTHING about wilderness survival, you know he's not doing it right. At all.
Back to top Go down
HomerBall667
HomerBall667

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 9:52 am

BRIK wrote:
BUT HE CAN WALK INTO MORDOR!
Exactly Brik! Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/homerball667
Skoje
Knows shit
Skoje

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 10:37 pm

He may not do some things the most logical way, But he has explained why he does the things he does.
The show is about entertaining the audience and informing them about How To survive in the areas he goes to.
Back to top Go down
Riley

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 2:34 am

I know a lot of the stuff he does is stupid, but some stuff is actually helpful. One of the episodes he was making a fishing spear thingo, with a bunch of reeds and sinewy leaves to split the spikes. Prior to watching it, I'd been on one of those wilderness camping weekends up near Kununurra with a bunch of friends and my mates dad, one of those things were a bunch of the local aborigines will take you out into the middle of nowhere and just show you how to make shelters, hunting tools and how to use them and tell you a bunch of their stories. Anyway, the fishing spear he made was almost identical to the ones we were shown how to make, and if you reckon the aborigines didn't know what they were doing, then you sure as hell don't.

Though, I've only watched parts of the show, so I don't know how much of it is rubbish.
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 3:51 am

Ok, I didn't see the spear - but then again that is basic common sense. But of all the things he does, much of it is rubbish. For example, one episode he made a 'wild animal snare' which consisted of two weak vines between two 0.5mm sticks impaled in the ground. There was no way it would ever work. If a small animal just happened to stumble and get it's foot caught in a vine, it would have pulled the sticks out and the animal would proceed to chew it off or have the vine cut into it and slowly die of disease. They conveniently brought a rabbit in (far bigger than the snare was capable of catching) and he proceeded to sloppily break it's neck. If it had been alive at the time, it would have died slowly and painfully. Another example - he puts poisonous sap onto his knife. Which he then uses to eat an old carcass. Neutral
Back to top Go down
BRIK
¡Admin!
BRIK

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 4:32 am

What's wrong with old carcass's?
I eat McDonald's all the time.
Back to top Go down
Wannabe_Hero
Knows shit
Wannabe_Hero

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 5:00 am

I like how he conveniently finds a piece of rope, or a piece of scrap metal at such opportune times.

I doubt he would ever go out to these places and survive if he didn't have a camera crew and a car of supplies behind the camera (He obviously does)

But to be honest, if use guys and him crash on a desert island I bet he would have a way better chance of making it off alive than us.

Also I watched him kill a 5 ft snake with a rock then proceed to eat the fucking thing raw, if that's not manly, I don't know what is.
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 5:06 am

There's a big difference between manly and stupid. Throwing a rock at a 5ft snake takes guts, but not doing it because it's stupid takes brains. Easy to see what he has... and doesn't have...
Back to top Go down
Wannabe_Hero
Knows shit
Wannabe_Hero

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 5:08 am

I know he wouldn't have starved to death, but he is pretending to be for the purpose of the show. If you were starving in some desert I'm sure you would throw a rock at a snake then eat it raw, rather than die.
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 5:11 am

That said, he probably wouldn't have done it if he hadn't had the support crew with antidote, and had a 4 hour training course with the survival consultant.
Back to top Go down
Wannabe_Hero
Knows shit
Wannabe_Hero

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 5:14 am

True.

But he's pretending to be alone, without the camera crew and such. If you watch it with that state of mind you will find it more entertaining.

I personally think he knows what he is talking about. How he does know, I don't know. Maybe the movie "Castaway" was the story of his life, who knows?
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 5:16 am

If you watch the credits, he has a 'Survival Consultant'.
Back to top Go down
Wannabe_Hero
Knows shit
Wannabe_Hero

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 5:19 am

ROFL

Stop crushing my hopes and dreams, he is the survival consultant!

And who says he actually consults them? Even if he does, he still does badass stuff.
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 6:16 am

Yes. They hire and pay a survival consultant who isn't even consulted. And your hopes and dreams were made to be crushed. Razz
Back to top Go down
Skoje
Knows shit
Skoje

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 9:28 am

Bear Grylls is enourmously genuine, I have studied survival skills for most off my life and know a lie from the truth, He does do some unnesscessary things but like I said before, Its for the benefit of the audience, There is no spare props or animals they have on site to fake the traps, The crew join in on just about all parts of the show and are always in the thick off it with Bear. If you knew what you were talking about a bit more you'd understand the program alot better, I know with this day and age off technology etc, You may think just about everything is staged and fake, But programs like Man vs Wild and Survivorman are the few that remain and stand out from the rest as real programs.
Maybe you should try and undertand and learn these things a bit more before you speak out against them.
Back to top Go down
Shinobi
Shinobi

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Actually, I do know a lot about survival. Yes, there are aspects there that are true. That's all they are though. Aspects. And he clearly said 'Well my trap didn't catch anything last night, but the crew have bought in a rabbit so I can show you what to do...' Either you're wrong, or Bear Grylls is wrong, and seeing as though you think so highly of him, it looks like you're wrong. And I'm not saying they FAKE anything, I'm just saying they usually do an incredibly poor job of the things they do. To quote you, maybe you should try and understand and learn these things a bit more before you speak out against them.
Back to top Go down
BRIK
¡Admin!
BRIK

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 1:24 am

There is a quote button, makes things way more dramatic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Man vs Wild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man vs Wild   Man vs Wild I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Man vs Wild
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Flame Wars :: TV Shows-
Jump to: